A smart thermostat is a unit you can use with home automation to control your heating and cooling appliances at home. You can connect it to your internet which then enables you to control settings from your mobile device such as a computer, tablet or phone.
Many also offer a range of technological advancements so you can set timer schedules and even use voice activation. The sky’s the limit for what many smart thermostats can do. Unfortunately, the market is full of duds too. If you want to avoid disappointment, make sure you check out these options below, followed by the considerations for making the best purchasing decision.
Top 10 Best Smart Thermostats
- PERSONALIZED THERMOSTAT - Personalize your comfort at home and program your thermostat to fit your lifestyle with the Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Programmable Thermostat
- HELPS SAVE ON YOUR ENERGY BILL - Take the guesswork out of your monthly energy bill as this ENERGY STAR certified thermostat can adjust to your pre-programmed schedule or your energy company's peak rate pricing. Program permanent, temporary, or vacation settings to help you save while you're away as well. This Wifi thermostat may also qualify for utility rebates in your area
- SMART RESPONSE TECHNOLOGY - Learns your home's heating and cooling cycles to deliver the right temperature when you want it
- COLOR TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY - Change the color display of the large and easy-to-read to read touch screen to match the style of your home
- CUSTOMIZABLE PROGRAMMING - Personalize your thermostat to fit your unique lifestyle with easy in-app programming using the schedules of your home, family, or small business. Choose color schemes, heat and cool with HI/LO settings, language preferences (English, French, or Spanish), °C or °F temperature display, 12 or 24-hour clock, auto-fan circulation, and so much more using your iPhone, iPad, Android, or computer
- Hive Heating and Cooling Pack comes with (1) Smart Thermostat & (1) Hive Hub
- Bring your home to life by remotely programming your smart thermostat to run only when your home is occupied or sync with Hive Window/Door Sensors to automatically turn your system off when you leave for the day
- Connect your Hive devices to Amazon Alexa or Google Home to enable voice activated commands like "Alexa / Hey Google, set temperature to 75°"
- Rapidly change your current home temperature with one click by using the Quick Cool or Quick Heat function
- Connect & control all of your Hive smart home devices in one place through your smartphone, tablet, or laptop with the Hive App
- SAVE MONEY: Homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus ecobee pays for itself in under 2 years (compared to a hold of 72 degrees).
- ROOM SENSORS: Place them in the rooms that matter the most and have the temperature balanced throughout your whole home. Measuring both occupancy and temperature, sensors signal your ecobee Smart Thermostat to automatically switch to the right mode for comfort when you're home or for savings when you're not. One Room Sensor included, 2-pack sold separately
- EASILY INSTALL YOURSELF: It only takes about 30 minutes, thanks to an easy to follow installation guide and an in-app step-by-step walkthrough. Everything you need comes in the box, including a Power Extender Kit for homes with no common wire (C-wire).
- CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE: Easily adjust your thermostat from wherever you are using your iOS (iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch) or Android device. The ecobee mobile app is available in the App Store or on Google Play.
- BUILT-IN ALEXA: Control your thermostat using your voice with built-in Alexa. Ask to play music, hear the news, set a timer, adjust the temperature, and so much more. Wifi connectivity is ieee 802.11 b/g/n at 2.4 GHz. Tip-make sure your HVAC panel is fully closed. Some systems will not turn on if the cover panel has not been closed properly.Voltage Type:Line Voltage
- Named the 'Best Overall' smart thermostat of 2018 by USA Today's Reviewed.com.
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: The ENERGY STAR certified Sensi thermostat helps you save on your HVAC energy costs, with features like geofencing, 7-day flexible scheduling, remote access and energy usage reports.
- GET REBATES: Find utility rebates in your area through the rebate finder at sensi.emerson.com/rebates
- MOST INSTALL IN 30 MINUTES OR LESS**: Use the built-in level, illuminated easy click terminals and step-by-step in-app instructions for quick DIY installation
- EXTENSIVE COMPATIBILITY***: Works with the HVAC equipment found in most homes - ALL system types require a common wire (c-wire). To check system and router compatibility, refer to our online compatibility resources at sensi.emerson.com/compatibility
- Indoor air quality monitoring including humidity, total VOCs and equivalent CO2
- Outdoor air quality reporting including allergens, air quality index and UV index
- Built with Microsoft Cortana and works with Amazon Alexa and the Google Assistant
- Beautiful user interface and a translucent OLED touchscreen
- Program your own schedule or allow GLAS to do it for you using the integrated occupancy sensor to create a comfortable space when you are at home
- Intelligently Connected with Alarm.com (Alarm.com account required)
- Remote Access and Control
- Custom Schedules
- Critical Temperature Alerts and Geo-Services Automation
- Can be paired with Alarm.com Temperature Sensor ADC-S2000-T-RA for enhanced climate control and improved energy savings (sold separately)
- SAVE ENERGY AND MONEY: This Alexa-enabled, internet-connected programmable thermostat simply connects to Wi-Fi to control temperature and settings from your smart phone or tablet (fully functional without Wi-Fi as well)
- MODERN SLEEK TOUCH SCREEN: The full color, 5-inch display touchscreen allows easy scheduling to provide the most comfortable temperature for your home from anywhere
- MULTI-USE COMPATIBILITY: Including heat pump (4 Heat, 2 Cool) or conventional (2 Heat, 2 Cool) systems, any 1-wire internally powered humidifier or dehumidifier, and most 24 VAC HVAC equipment on the market. Not compatible with other Bosch Boiler controls, such as the Logamatic
- NEW COMMERCIAL UPDATES: Updates allow control of both evaporation and steam type external humidifier accessories. Plus, hot gas reheat and cool to dehumidify capabilities. Now Dual Fuel system compatible; may work with HVAC systems that use both gas and electric power (more information on updates in product description)
- C-WIRE REQUIRED: A C-wire (common wire) is required to power the unit. Two wire systems are not supported. The C-wire is used to provide power to the thermostat and is available on most HVAC systems today that have three or more wires. Third party aftermarket products exist for adding powering options in instances where a C-wire does not exist
- Universal compatibility for all system types. Large, lighted easy-to-read touchscreen display. It is compatible with virtually all North American heating and cooling systems apart from systems with electric baseboard heat (120 or 240 volt) and systems with 2-cooling stages
- Biggest size display, Easy-to-use touchscreen menu operation.
- User-selectable periods per day (2 or 4), Programmable touch pad lockout for unauthorized users
- Adjustable heat/cool set temperature limit stops, Energy usage monitor. Refer user manual below
- Programmable air filter life timer, Temporary temperature override, Adjustable temperature differential (swing).
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Wi-Fi enabled thermostat can be controlled using your smartphone or tablet
- Works with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices
- Programmable thermostat allows you to maximize energy efficiency and comfort
- Energy usage feature shows power consumption over the previous seven days
01. Honeywell Programmable Thermostat V.2.0
If you want more control over your home’s heating and cooling, then it might be time to check out this smart thermostat from Honeywell. As one of the most popular and trusted units on the market, you will be surprised at how many features you can benefit from on this unit.
Firstly, it’s compatible with Amazon Alexa’s voice control. You can set it up so you can talk to it and it will change settings. If you don’t have an Amazon device, you can use the customizable touch screen to alter settings. This smart thermostat, with energy star certification, is secure, connects to the internet, and will forecast the weather for five days. The temperature is also very accurate, even if it can be quite sporadic at times.
Once you install this smart thermostat, you can choose a background color that suits your decor. You will hardly notice it’s there at all! However, you need to be wary of the wall plate which feels cheap and could break. This smart thermostat doesn’t work with all heat pumps and cooling systems, but it’s fairly universal and will make any homeowner very happy.
- Amazon Alexa-compatible
- Customizable touch screen
- Full color display
- Indoor and outdoor temperature
- Energy star certification
- Cool and heat auto change function
- Five-day forecasting
- Highly advanced technology
- It connects to the internet
- Plenty of custom options
- The background color can change to match your decor
- Free smartphone app
- Secure network
- You can adjust the temperature depending on your schedule
- Doesn’t work with all heat pumps
- Cheap wall plate
- The temperature is not accurate
Another Article: The 10 Best Steamer Irons Removing Wrinkles and Creases from Fabric
02. Hive Heating and Cooling Smart Thermostat with Hive Hub
A smart thermostat is a convenient addition to any home, but if you want one that’s easy to use and connects seamlessly to most devices, then this Hive unit could be for you. You can use it with most phones, tablets, and other mobile devices, as well as the Hive app. You can even link it with several other Hive devices to make the most out of the brand and product. It doesn’t get much better than that.
This smart thermostat is also compatible with Google Home and Amazon Alexa for voice activation, while offering convenient features such as quick cool and heat function that switch over quickly too. If you have a hectic schedule and particular needs, then this Hive smart thermostat covers your needs here too. You can schedule up to six daily settings to put your home at the perfect temperature. You can even ensure it works seamlessly with HVAC and run different temperatures throughout your home too.
If the time has come to jump into the 21st century with technology, why not start with a Hive smart thermostat? It could be the way of the future.
- Amazon Alexa and Google Home-compatible
- Quick cool and quick heat functions
- Hive app, tablet, and smartphone-compatible
- Six daily schedule options
- Multizone system for whole house settings
- You can have a different temperature in every room
- It connects with most devices
- You can sync it with sensors to turn it off when you leave for the day
- Free user-friendly app
- Affordable price tag
- You can set it to run only when you’re home
- It doesn’t light up very well
- Not as user-friendly as other thermostats
- Shiny metal shows fingerprints
Another Article: Electric Knife Sharpener: the best solution for at-home sharpening
03. Ecobee 4 Smart Thermostat
If you want to be able to control every aspect of your home heating and cooling, then take a closer look at this smart thermostat from Ecobee. Even though it’s more expensive than other models, slower to navigate, and it doesn’t have as many features as leading brands, it’s a winner in its own right.
Firstly, you can purchase it with or without an Amazon Echo Dot. Buying it with it means you can use voice activation to control most of the settings. Secondly, it takes only around half an hour to install – and you won’t need a professional. It comes with everything you need for effortless installation, including a power extender kit and room sensors.
You can connect this smart thermostat to the internet, control it via your iOS or Android device, and tell it to alter the temperature once you connect Amazon Alexa. In essence, you have full control over cooling and heating.
The broad compatibility and user-friendly components make this smart thermostat one that’s well worth your consideration.
- With or without Echo Dot
- Room sensors
- 30-minute installation process
- Power extender kit
- iOS and Android compatible
- Built-in Alexa
- WiFi connectivity
- You can choose to buy it with an Echo Dot or without it
- It doesn’t take all that long to install
- It gives you full control over your heating and cooling
- You can make changes by talking to it
- It comes with room sensors
- It will work with HVAC
- Ideal for most devices
- Expensive to buy
- Slow to navigate
- You can’t check your user history
- Not as many features as other brands
Another Article: Best Wall Mounted Floating Shelves Reviews
04. Sensi Touch WiFi Touchscreen Thermostat
If you prefer the “less is more” approach when it comes to your smart thermostat, then check out this unit from Emerson. Instead of getting a range of features you may not use, this works seamlessly with a few to keep things simple. This may or may not work for you.
You can buy them in black or white, enjoy bulk discount savings or buy one unit at a time, and enjoy the effortless installation process of around half an hour. You don’t even need a professional’s help.
This smart thermostat even has a built-in thermostat for installation, as well as easy-click illumination for when you want to check the temperature quickly. This smart thermostat is all about convenience.
When you read the HD color touch screen display, the simplicity will please you. It shows everything you need to see, and nothing you don’t. It also offers the humidity alongside the temperature.
Sealing the deal is being able to use a user-friendly Sensi app on your Android or iOS device to use this smart thermostat.
- Black or white color scheme
- One-pack or six-pack options
- Energy star certification
- 30-minute installation time
- Built-in level
- Easy-click illumination
- Smart home system-compatible
- Android and iOS Sensi App available
- HD touch screen
- Color display
- Temperature and humidity display
- It works with smart home devices such as Google Home and Amazon Alexa
- It’s effortless to install yourself
- User-friendly display
- Quick to light up so you can see at night
- Sleek color schemes
- You can buy one for every room in your house
- It works well with HVAC systems
- You can use it with most mobile devices
- The display has color unlike most which are black
- Affordable to buy in bulk
- The screen goes to sleep too quickly
- Not as many features as other models
Another Article: Best Backless Kitchen Metal Bar Stools Reviews
05. Johnson Controls Glas Smart Thermostat
If you want the best of the best when it comes to a smart thermostat, then set your sights on this model from Johnson Controls. Even though you pay a little more for this one than you would others, there’s a reason for it – it packs a punch regarding features.
You can use it with Amazon Alexa, it monitors both your indoor and outdoor air quality, and it has a premium OLED touch screen. Unlike other smart thermostats, this unit even checks the UV index and allergen levels – something that may come in convenient for members of your family.
The connectivity options of this smart thermostat are also impressive. It has excellent mobile connectivity, as well as the option of an app which can take a while to connect. You can also use it with most, if not all, smart home systems, as well as iOS and Android devices. WiFi connectivity is a breeze too.
This sleek, contemporary unit takes mere minutes to install and will enhance your home’s user experience. Take control of your heating and cooling with this smart thermostat from Johnson Controls.
- Amazon Alexa-compatible
- Air quality monitor – indoor and outdoor
- UV index and allergen monitoring
- Smart home system compatibility
- OLED touch screen
- Mobile connectivity
- iOS and Android compatibility
- WiFI connectivity
- Sleek design
- Full range of features
- Effortless installation process
- Many monitoring options such as UV rays and allergens
- It connects to most mobile devices
- You can use it with a range of smart home systems
- Full compatibility
- Generous two-year warranty period
- Slow connectivity to app
- The screen turns off too quickly
- Only one day of weather forecast, not several
- No customization
Another Article: Best Kitchen Mortar and Pestle Set Reviews
06. Alarm.com Thermostat
If you’re not normally a techno-savvy person, then you will enjoy the simplicity on offer from this Alarm.com smart thermostat. While it can do everything you need to control your heating and cooling, it doesn’t take an expert to use it. Instead, it’s entirely user-friendly.
It can connect to an Alarm.com app, you can access it remotely, and you can customize schedule times as well. If you need your heating or cooling to work at a particular temp during the day or night, you can set this up with no problems.
This smart thermostat will even go one step further by offering temperature alerts and geo services too, as well as being compatible for use with the Alarm.com temperature sensor which you can buy separately.
This affordable smart thermostat is effortless to install, but the app can often be laggy. If you don’t have much patience, it might not be a good option for you. It also offers no fan control and you can consider it “too simple” if you are used to more advanced thermostats. It’s an excellent option for a beginner, but less desirable for someone who wants the best smart thermostat money can buy.
- Alarm.com connectivity
- Remote access
- Remote control
- Customizable schedules
- Automatic temperature alerts and geo services
- Alarm.com temperature sensor-compatible
- You can link it with other Alarm.com products
- You can customize the heating and cooling schedule
- It lets you know alerts about the temperature
- Effortless installation process
- User friendly
- You can lock the temperature so people can’t change it
- No fan control
- Laggy app
- Too simple
Another Article: Best Multi Purpose Handheld Steam Cleaner Reviews
07. Bosch WiFi Thermostat
If you want a straightforward, easy-to-use smart thermostat that tends to be compatible with most systems and setups, then this one is the answer. Even though it’s simple and straightforward in its design, it’s packed full of goodies that will add a whole lot of convenience to your life.
Firstly, you can connect it to Amazon Alexa. As a result, you will be able to tell Alexa to change the settings and adjust the temperature. You can also link it seamlessly to your internet connection, smartphone, or tablet. If you prefer to work from the smart thermostat itself, then this is easy too. It’s a five-inch touch screen with full options for customization. You will be amazed at what you can do with it.
Because this smart thermostat also has dual fuel system compatibility, you will find it can link with many HVAC systems. You can also use it with more than one heating and cooling unit at a time. It may not cost a lot, but this smart thermostat from Bosch packs a punch.
- Amazon Alexa-compatible
- Smartphone and tablet-compatible
- Five-inch display
- Touch screen
- Multi-use compatible with many devices
- Dual fuel system compatibility
- You can connect several heating and cooling appliances to it
- Large easy-to-read screen
- It’s compatible with many HVAC systems
- You can connect it to your Amazon Alexa for voice control
- Affordable to buy
- Not challenging to set up
- Gives you more control over heating and cooling
- You can use it with most devices such as Android and iOS
- You need to buy a common wire to use it
- It doesn’t come with the common wire
Another Article: Best Glass Food Storage Containers Reviews
08. Lux Programmable Large Touchscreen Thermostat
If you are a fan of being able to customize almost everything in your home, then check out this smart thermostat from Lux Products. Choose from a generation one or two model then enjoy all the features packed into such a small, affordable device.
The lit display is going to be the first convenient feature, given that so many devices don’t have lit screens at all times. You can also choose to run it on batteries or wall power, depending on how complicated you want the installation process to get. If you run it on batteries, however, they do not last very long.
You can use this smart thermostat with most North American heating and cooling systems, but there are a few exceptions. You may wish to check with Lux to see whether your system will work. It also comes with adjustable temperature limits, a lockout option so no one can change the temperature, and different temperature options for use throughout the day.
What’s more, you will find the installation process is effortless – even with inferior instructions. It’s affordable, comes with an easy-read display, and it’s packed full of convenient features to make life easier. If you want more control over heating and cooling, checkout this Lux smart thermostat.
- Generation 1 or 2 option
- Lit display
- Touch screen
- North American heating and cooling system compatibility
- User-selectable day periods
- Touch pad lockout
- Energy usage monitor
- Adjustable temperature limits
- Air filter life timer
- Adjustable temperature differential
- Affordable to buy
- Suitable for most heating and cooling systems
- You can lock the temperature so no one can change it
- Many display options
- Easy-read display
- Effortless to set up
- You can power it with wall supply or batteries
- The batteries don’t last long
- The instructions are hard to follow
Another Article: Best Freestanding Bathtub Faucet Reviews | Floor Mounted Faucets
09. First Alert Onelink WiFi
When you want to be more conscious of your energy usage and have more functionality, then consider buying this smart thermostat from First Alert. As an affordable unit you won’t have any trouble setting up, it’s well worth your time.
It’s entirely programmable to suit your needs, suits most heating and cooling appliances, and is even seamless to connect to your internet. The best part is, if you have an Amazon Alexa device, you can use voice control to make adjustments. It’s that easy!
However, the best is yet to come. You can use this smart thermostat for not only controlling your heating and cooling, but for showing imagery as well. It can show up to 100 photos on its full color screen. You will thoroughly enjoy the capabilities of this smart thermostat from First Alert.
- Amazon Alexa-compatible
- Full color screen
- Touch screen
- Image showing capabilities
- Energy usage feature
- It can show you how much energy your heating and cooling devices used
- You can show up to 100 photos on it
- Affordable to buy
- The installation process is effortless
- You can connect it with minimal effort to your internet and Amazon Alexa
- It’s a full color screen for user-friendliness
- Cheap style
- It’s a cheap rebranded device
- The instructions for installation are hard to follow
Another Article: Best Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl Set Reviews
10. Karandash F-22 WiFi
It may take some time for you to set this smart thermostat up to how you like it due to clunky configuration, but once you nail the finer details, you will love everything this unit has to offer. You can use it with Amazon Alexa for voice initiation, then even enjoy the effortlessness of the MyComfortHome app too. Use it with both your iOS and Android devices.
This smart thermostat comes with a color touch screen, backlighting which is convenient for lowly-lit areas, and geofencing too. The menu, while slow, is intuitive with flexible scheduling and the option to use remote access. It’s stylish, effortless to install, and overall, this smart thermostat could be the best home addition you buy all year.
- Amazon Alexa-compatible
- MyComfortHome app
- Android and iOS compatible
- Color touch screen
- Intuitive menu
- Flexible scheduling
- Remote access
- Effortless to install
- Sleek device
- Saves HVAC costs
- Seven-day scheduling for convenience
- You can use voice control with it
- The screen has color
- You can use it with most devices
- The setting configuration is clunky
Another Article: Best Electric Rice Cooker Reviews
Considerations for Purchasing a Smart Thermostat
When the time comes to have more control over your heating and cooling appliances, you may not realize that not all smart thermostats are the same. There is a genuine risk that you can spend hundreds of dollars on junk. Here is how to avoid doing so.
Functionality is quite important as it needs to be easy to use while offering plenty of useful features. Read the reviews. Do people rate it highly based on how effortless it is to use? Is it functional and straightforward? Not all of them are, so check out what others have to say.
If you want your smart thermostat to be a worthwhile addition, it needs to be at the height of connectivity. Ensure it will link to your mobile devices, smartphones, tablets, apps, and your internet connection.
How will your smart thermostat get its power? Some have batteries, while others require you to wire them into your wall power supply. An expert can help you with this or you can do it yourself.
The best smart thermostat is one that will work with a full range of heating and cooling appliances – including HVAC. The more universal it is, the higher the chance it will work for what you need.
Top Bestseller Smart Thermostats
Last update on 2019-03-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API