A metal detector is an electronic device you can use to detect metal wherever you point it. It can be helpful for finding metal items in walls, floors, and even for combing the beach when you’re out and about.
For some people, a metal detector is a fun item to own as a hobby, but for others, it’s a way in which to find things you’ve lost or remove metal items that could get in the way of your projects. However, if you have decided to purchase one for yourself, there are a few things you need to think about before you go ahead.
You need to compare the price against the quality, and then think about how often you are going to use it. Will it be an item you keep in your closet for occasional use?
Or, will it become part of your daily or weekly routine, taking a lot of pain and use on a regular basis? The frequency of use, along with the price, can help you determine what model to buy, and how much to spend.
Confused yet? Maybe these options below can help you to make a purchasing decision.
Top 10 Best Metal Detectors
- FIND BURIED TREASURE and feel the thrill of discovery when you locate cool artifacts like Gold, Coins, Jewelry, Tools and more!
- EASY TO USE for all ages, sizes and skill levels from beginner to advanced. Just unfold and go.
- COMPACT, LARGE WATERPROOF 10" COIL, LIGHTWEIGHT and collapses to just 22 inches and 2 lbs. Great for travel!
- PACKED WITH PRO FEATURES including 3 detection modes, 4 sensitivity levels and a pinpoint location feature to help you distinguish trash from treasure as deep as 12 inches
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - National Geographic stands behind this Pro Series Metal Detector with a TWO-YEAR warranty.
- V-Break, Variable Tone Breakpoint
- Pinpoint Mode with Depth Indicator
- FeTone, Adjustable Iron Audio
- Menu System with Variable Notching
- Ground Grab, Computerized Ground Balancing
- Rugged metal detector ideal for detecting treasure in extreme ground conditions
- Motion All-Metal mode, Discrimination mode, and 2-Tone audio mode.Larger objects up to 3 feet
- Preset ground balance neutralizes response to mineral content in the ground
- Disc/notch control distinguishes between targets and unwanted metals
- 6.7 kHz operating frequency
- FAMILY TREASURE HUNTING TIME - Still tangled children's outdoor adventure activities? family detectors can satisfy your outdoor parent-child activities. GC-1065 detector with an adjustable stem extending from 33.5" to 45", so not only for adults but also for kids. Providing families with unique leisure, Lead the child to start treasure hunting journey.
- HIGH-ACCURACY - Old coin, lost bracelet and ring can be detected through the 8-inch waterproof coil. The device is equipped with buzzers and LED light alert to remind you to avoid you missing Treasure. Coil angle can be adjusted by 180°, So even the rugged ground and concealed corner can be detected.
- MULTIFUNCTION MODES - GC-1065 Metal Detector has All-Metal mode and necessary Discrimination mode. So it can eliminate the target you don't want, for example, iron, zinc, and copper. The DISC key is rotated to the left to the lowest, the DISC mode is turned off, the full metal mode is turned on, the DISC key is rotated to the right, and the position is adjusted according to the surrounding environment, Eliminate targets that you don't want to be detected.
- 100% WATERPROOF - Both the stem and the coil at the end are waterproof, So can be used anywhere, especially suitable for use outdoors, on the beach or in the stream. Be a gold digger! But it should be noted that the display panel should be carefully away from water because powered by a 9-volt alkaline battery(not included).
- VOLUME &POWER - There's an audio jack provides you a chance to search treasury in noisy street or beach. Enjoy your own world of exploration! Inspire hunting treasure enthusiasm. If there are any problems during the installation, please contact our customer service for installation and operation guidance.
- For detecting coins, jewelry, and artifacts
- Features pinpoint mode
- 10 adjustable sensitivity levels
- Weather resistant
- Detects metals up to 9 in. deep
- GARRETT GTI 2500 PRO PACKAGE METAL DETECTOR (30246)
- Pro Mode Audio feature
- High-Res Iron Discrimination
- Digital Target ID
- Can be used in water up to 10-foot depth
- Lawn & Patio
- VLF TECHNOLOGY: Very Low Frequency detectors can be used in many different areas and conditions for hunting coins, relics, caches, jewelry, and even gold nuggets in shallow water, beach and more
- All-METAL MODE & DISC MODE: 2 detection modes it uses All-Metal mode to detect all types of metals and Disc mode, which discriminates a specific metal (iron, zinc, coppers) while only focuses on good types
- HIGH SENSITIVITY: when you approach your target, the detector will beep; the movement of the pointer indicates the distance to the metal, the more the pointer moves, the closer it is to the treasure
- PINPOINT FUNCTION & WATERPROOF: helps to isolate the target and find its exact location in the hole; press the red button, move slowly and release when it beeps, repeat the process to find the target location; Both the adjustable stem and the coil at the end are waterproof, so you can search for lost metal items at the bottom of a shallow pool or stream. But the display panel should be carefully away from water, or it will be damaged.
- AUDIO JACK: includes an audio jack to connect your earplugs and detect metals even in noisy locations; the low battery indicator alerts you when new batteries are needed; a carrying bag is included
01. National Geographic Pro Series Metal Detector
If you’ve lost something in your yard of importance, or you want to go to the beach and comb for treasure, this metal detector can be of assistance. Not only is it affordable, but it’s well made and suitable for both children and adults as well. Therefore, it’s an excellent gift for your loved ones or yourself.
It’s foldable which makes it easy to transport, and it’s lightweight at two pounds as well. You will never suffer fatigue when you take this out on a journey. It has a waterproof coil, comes with a two-year warranty, and only requires four AA batteries to work it.
These also last a long time. What’s more, the metal detector is entirely customizable. You can choose from three detection modes and four sensitivity levels, all the while using it to locate “treasure” up to 12 inches deep in the ground. It’s well worth adding to your wish list.
02. Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Metal Detector
If you consider yourself to be a professional treasure hunter, then use your treasure winnings to purchase this Bounty Hunter metal detector. As one of the best on the market for commercial and hobby use, you will enjoy everything it has to offer.
It has an exact pinpoint mode to save you time digging in a larger area, and it also has a depth indicator as well. As a result, you will know whether something is a foot down or a few inches from the surface.
You will enjoy how comfortable it is to operate, how easy it is to adjust to, and that it’s versatile for both amateurs and professionals. While it might take you a while to learn what all the sounds and settings mean, and it’s quite an expensive purchase to make, it could help you to discover riches. What’s more, it can help you to uncover a hidden hobby that may turn into a passion in no time.
03. TK4 Tracker Metal Detector
The metal detector variety online is vast – with the price tags differing as considerably as well. However, price, in this instance, is not an indicator of quality. Even though you don’t have to pay an awful lot for this Bounty Hunter metal detector, what you get is an exceptional instrument that will trump many of the more expensive models.
It has three modes – all metal, discrimination, and two-tone, and it can also discover metal items up to three feet large. What’s more, it can distinguish between minerals, treasures, and trash, helping to save you time to dig up things that aren’t worth your while.
The eight-inch coil is waterproof for peace of mind, while the generous five-year warranty means you can expect coverage for all manufacturer faults. However, the benefits don’t end there. You can spend a little extra to get headphones, a bag, pin-pointer, and kit, and then head out on a treasure finding adventure.
This metal detector is leagues ahead of its competition, assuring you that you don’t have to spend a lot to get a value product.
04. INTEY Waterproof Metal Detector with LED Flash Light
If you’re on a budget, but you want to treat your kids or yourself to a fun metal detector, this one from INTEY will meet the mark. Not only does it not break the bank to buy, but it’s a versatile and customizable metal detector that will provide hours of entertainment for the family.
While it’s a metal detector, it’s also so much more. It comes with a foldable shovel and a compass, is a lovely color and even has an LED flashlight too. If you’re taller or shorter, you will also love that you can adjust it from 35 inches to 45 inches and back again.
When you go out searching for treasure, you can speed up the process by alternating between the two modes. One discriminates against metals to stop you picking up trash, while the other alerts you to all metal types. It’s accurate, runs on a long-lasting nine-volt battery, and can help you to pick up treasure much to the delight of your children.
05. Fisher Weatherproof Metal Detector
You can’t put a price on quality – especially when it comes to a metal detector. After all, if you choose a low-quality one and it doesn’t pick up all the treasure, you may miss out on a significant gain. Therefore, to reduce the risk of that happening, you may like to spend a little extra and get this Fisher metal detector.
As a weatherproof instrument, you can use it in all weather, and you can even submerge the coil as well. No weather is too extreme for this unit. It also has ten sensitivity levels, four modes of operation, and you can adjust the volume and utilize the pinpoint mode as well.
If that wasn’t enough to convince you of this detector’s quality, then the accuracy will. It can pick up metal in up to nine inches of the ground, helping to distinguish between trash and treasure.
Rather than buy a low-quality metal detector and risk losing big time, purchase this weatherproof one and reap the rewards.
06. Garrett GTI 2500 Metal Detector
If you consider yourself a professional treasure hunter, then don’t settle for a metal detector that’s anything less than the best. If you are in the market for one that will provide 100 percent accuracy every time, this Garrett GTI model is for you.
Not only do you receive the metal detector tool, but a whole range of accessories as well. Benefit from a case that protects it, headphones for listening to the alerts, two search coils for various scenarios, and a range of features as well.
You can put it on deep-seeking mode, adjust the audio to set your preference, and even switch it to coil alert mode. Before you know it, you can fill your wallet at the beach with minimal effort. You can also then put it onto all-metal mode, picking up both trash and treasure.
If the time has come to invest in a proper metal detector that’s a tool not a toy, this one from Garrett is the answer.
07. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
If money isn’t an object and you’re looking to take up a new hobby, set your sights on this metal detector from Garrett. While it might be a significant investment in the beginning, it can pay off ten-fold with its accuracy.
You can use the pinpointing mode to accurately target the type of items you want to find, and learn how far deep they are as well. And, if there is a type of trash metal you don’t want to locate, you can set the metal detector so that it ignores it completely. You can even adjust the audio, so it doesn’t hurt your ears, and make use of the touchpad settings for all manner of treasure seeking requirements.
The best part is, you can use this detector in all weather. Therefore, if you want to hit the beach when it’s quiet, you can head out in the rain, and it won’t hurt the instrument.
It’s lightweight, so you won’t experience fatigue, and experts will find it a breeze to operate. You will love what’s on offer from Garrett with this model.
08. MineLab Standard Pack Metal Detector with GPS
If you have owned a metal detector in the past and are ready to upgrade to one of more substance and quality, then MineLab have the answer. This standard park metal detector will tick all the boxes for a seasoned detector looking to lift their game.
It comes with a rechargeable GPS to track where you’re going and where you have already been and is even waterproof in up to 10 feet of water. However, it can get water damage to keep water use to a minimum.
It’s also more accurate than other detectors due to how many customizable aspects it has. That is why it’s more of a preference for seasoned treasure hunters. If you’re new to detectors, you will need to spend some time reading the manual to understand what each setting does.
For the price, however, you get a lot of bang for your buck, as well as a genuine chance to find some treasure and hit the jackpot.
09. MineLab Gold Nugget Metal Detector
If you’re tired of digging up old tin cans and trash when gold nuggets are hiding in plain sight, it might be time to invest in a gold nugget metal detector. Produced by MineLab, this is a top-of-the-line detector that trumps every other one on the market. It bypasses junk entirely and heads straight for the jackpot.
No longer will you need to put up with trash that wastes your time, you can benefit from maximum gold sensitivity, 40 percent more depth detection than previous models and other brands, and even better ground balance than ever before as well.
What’s more, this model has wireless audio and noise immunity as well. You may have to spend thousands of dollars to buy this metal detector, but it can earn you hundreds of thousands if you take the time to use it properly.
10. WELQUIC Metal Detector Pin-Pointer
If you are looking into purchasing a metal detector as a gift for a loved one or use with your new hobby, you will find this one is an excellent option for a beginner. Even though it doesn’t cost a lot, the quality will impress you.
You can use it every day with no problems, it’s very sensitive to metals, and you can use discrimination mode so you can save time not digging up tin cans and other trash. What’s more, because it’s waterproof, you can even use it at the beach.
It uses the very best VLF technology with low frequency, comes with a carry bag, and even has a low battery indicator so you can make sure you have spare ones handy. While it’s not the best metal detector on the market, it’s perfect for beginners and children.
Top Bestseller Metal Detectors
|1||Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector||1,454 Reviews||View Product|
|2||Bounty Hunter Gold Digger Metal Detector||1,649 Reviews||View Product|
|3||kuman Pin Pointer Water Resistant Metal Detectors with Holster Treasure Hunting Unearthing Tool...||249 Reviews||View Product|
|4||SE GP3-SS20 Prospector Series Green Sand Scoop for Metal Detecting||477 Reviews||View Product|
What to Consider When Purchasing a Metal Detector
Many people consider themselves to be professional treasure hunters, an exciting job title for your LinkedIn page, while others are merely getting involved as a hobby.
Whatever your reason for buying a metal detector, you are bound to find there are options aplenty to suit your needs. But, it’s helpful to know what you are looking for, how often you will use it, and what it needs to be able to do. Unfortunately, not all detectors on the market are the same.
- Skill Level
Your skill level counts for a lot because there are detectors that match to your skill level. If you are an expert, you will find the settings for detecting metals are far more complicated.
However, they won’t be daunting because you’re an expert and understand how they all work. If you’re a beginner and go and buy an expert detector, you may give up on your hobby because you don’t understand how it all works.
What are you hoping to find? What you will use your detector for can make all the difference, as not all are suitable for all applications. For example, some are suitable for use for relics and coins, while high-end models target gold and not a lot else. Often, people don’t want to be sifting through tin cans to get to the goods, so they opt for models with more selection over what metals they can find.
Technology is growing at a rapid pace, and metal detectors take advantage of it as well. Very Low Frequency (VLF) features in most detectors which make them suitable for coins and relics, while Pulse Induction (PI) can help you comb challenging areas such as gold country and saltwater beaches.
Other Articles You Might Also Like:
Last update on 2019-03-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API